Friday 18 May 2012

Remembering Jim Henson

I'd have written this two days ago, if I'd had time. Wednesday 16th was the anniversary of the death of one of my absolute favourite entertainment figures, the great Jim Henson.

To anybody my age, The Muppet Show was essential viewing on a Sunday evening during their childhood, my one regret being that I wasn't actually old enough to really appreciate the thing for the quality of the writing, puppetry and set building.

It was, by a country mile, better than any entertainment programme on at the moment, and I'd have it back on TV in a heartbeat if it could be done as well as it was then. Henson's real genius, as well as his ability to handle a 'peace 'n'love' message without being heavy-handed, was in engaging absolutely all ages in producing a show that was consistently funny and inventive.

The Muppets form an essential part of my grown-up Christmas experience too – their version of A Christmas Carol somehow managing to remain faithful to the book while at the same time incorporating singing vegetables. You don't get that on Britain's Got Talent. (I realise that some people would argue that this is exactly what you get on BGT, but you take my point.)

Another one of those people taken too young at 53, he refused hospital treatment when he fell ill, some have said because of his religious beliefs (yet another reason to hate it if that's true, but that's well-trodden ground), and Kermit's voice and soul was gone. Though they continue to make films, the most recent of which being very well received, I rather fear my hope of a Sunday evening Muppet Show resurrection will never happen.

Cheers, Jim.


(I do not know who owns the copyright to this image and will very happily credit them should they get in touch. I hope, given the nature of my post, they would approve of me using it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment