Monday 12 July 2010

I get the feeling I may be a blogging 'black sheep'

I've just hit the 'Next Blog' button on here, and kept doing so, until I eventually came across something I could read which was not actively plugging Christianity. I don't know if the 'choices' the button makes are in any way affected by the labels I place on my own posts, but it took 21 hits of the button before I came to a blog not actively pushing the Christian message. I counted them, yes, I'm that dull.

I feel I may not have chosen the best medium for what may occasionally be anti-theological postings! I can, for my own part, only recommend that anybody searching for meaning or some great truth beyond their own mortality would do well to read anything written by Carl Sagan, a man who evidently knew where to find awe, wonder and beauty in the real and whose writings I've only just become aware of through reading Dawkins' latest atheist tract while on holiday. (Oddly preachy in places, since you ask, but passionately and intelligently argued of course). He quotes Sagan often, and it's inspired me to get hold of some of his work and read it. My favourite quote of Sagan so far? This, on the idea of an afterlife;

"The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

Given the nature of most of my posts so far this may seem as something rather out of context, but I've been thinking about this stuff as a result of reading Dawkins' God Delusion and having seen the Milky Way for the first time in a dark, clear Galician sky on Friday night, unpolluted by the light from any city, and being overwhelmed with a feeling of utter insignificance, awe and wonder, all at the same time. Sorry to be all thoughtful and introspective, and stray from the footy for a bit! Normal service will doubtless be resumed in due course when some transfer news or friendly result or something trickles through from the Albion.

No comments:

Post a Comment