Tuesday 25 September 2012

Time and a place

I've just been through Piccadilly Circus on a bus, on the way to work. At all the exits to the tube there, and on the street junctions, were groups of young lads and lasses dressed in Santa Claus outfits, handing out flyers.

Now, speaking as a lover of Christmas, I find this irritating and slightly depressing. Can we not be allowed to live our lives chronologically correctly, as the occasions actually fall? Christmas in September, Easter in February, school uniforms being plugged the moment the summer holidays start (how I hated that as as kid...) There are weeks between, for example, November 5th and Christmas, during which time thoughts can more reasonably be turned toward it, I think. At least by then it's dark and cold, as it's supposed to be at Christmas. This morning was pleasant and sunny - the Piccadilly Circus girls, for example, were wearing those 'sexy' Santa short skirts and stockings, which I could not see them being so cheerful in come December.

But since we're busy moving everything forward in the calendar, why stop there? Let's all go to the beach in January, and demand birthday presents 9 weeks in advance. Why not turn up for meetings days before you're supposed to? Can we please be allowed to enjoy the last few rays of the sun before we start putting twinkly lights up?

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree Jase. I find it really hard to buy my mum a nice birthday card every year because all the card shops are filled with Christmas cards - apparently no one else was ever born in December apart from Jesus.

    I love Christmas of course but I do think normal everyday life still goes on even at Christmas and it would be nice if people remembered that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even Jesus was born in December, Hels - he was apparently more likely born in spring! The Church nicked the pre-Christian winter festivals for themselves. I have a similar card problem with C, of course, so I buy nice ones whenever I see them and keep them for use later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Christmas tree in my local Wetherspoons. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete